A fire destroys a barn in Northeast Rochester Saturday night.
The man renting the home tells us that the fire started sometime between 7 and 7:30 Saturday evening.
Flames and smoke could be seen from a couple miles away from the home.
He said he returned home from dinner when he noticed smoke coming from the bottom of the barn.
He went inside and saw it was more than just smoke, so he tried to put it out himself, but it was too much.
No people were hurt in the fire, but the man says he kept pigs, some chickens and a litter of cats in the barn.
It’s unsure if any of them made it out safely.
"We were at supper at my in-laws and then came back and I went out to do chicken chores and I noticed smoke at the bottom part of the barn and tried to run down and get a garden hose to start putting it out, but the time I got the garden hose and ran up there, it was way too much for a garden hose to take care of. The barn is probably a full lose, but life goes on and I’m fortunate that nobody was hurt and hopefully the animals are okay," said the victim of the fire, Blake Westrom.
Westrom added it was a miracle fire crews arrived when they did or it could have been much worse.