HAYWARD, Minn. (FOX 47) — The Carlson family is still recovering after a fire erupted in their barn, leaving it a total loss.
Tuesday afternoon, emotions were still high at the Hawkeye Farm in Hayward, where the family is still trying to cope with the loss of their 50 goats.
At 8:30 p.m. on Monday night, fire strikes, erupting inside the barn, prompting 911 calls.
“It was five minutes and we couldn’t do anything. It was complete flames,” said Dawn Carlson, Hawkeye Farm Owner.
In just five minutes the Carlson family’s barn became a raging inferno.
“[It was] scary, we did what we weren’t supposed to do and we went into the barn. You could hear them crying,” continued Dawn.
On instinct, she says she couldn’t help but try to save her babies.
“I went in to try and save them and you couldn’t see, you couldn’t, it was just burning and I had this thought that if I stay in here, I’m going to die and I just reached down and I just grabbed the closest thing I could,” added Dawn.
Which actually turned out to be two “things,” two baby goats, ‘Fury’ and ‘Thanos.’
“This one [Thanos] was so limp, I didn’t think he’d make it,” said Dawn.
Dawn got her first goat on her birthday four years ago as a present from the family, which quickly turned into a hobby of raising fainting goats.
“I guess I’m just glad that I still have the goats and that not all the animals died,” said her daughter, Ruthie Carlson.
While losing the goats is tough for the family, they’re still counting their blessings.
“If the winds would have been shifted a little bit, the embers that were blowing from that barn would have got into here. And I don’t know why it happened, but it’s showing us that people are good,” said Dawn and Ruthie.
Dawn says breeders from across the country have been offering to help rebuild her flock, after their insurance said it’s not covering the animals.
But she’s not sure if she’s ready to move forward just yet.