ROCHESTER, Minn. (FOX 47) – Fire crews say a lightning strike is to blame for a gas leak and fire Thursday morning in Rochester.
The Rochester Fire Department responded to the 2037 Northview Lane NE around 7:45 a.m.
They found a tree had fallen onto a house and also spotted a fire at the base of the tree.
Firefighters determined it was natural gas from a ruptured line fueling the fire.
Rochester Public Utilities and Minnesota Energy Resources also responded and shut off gas to several homes in the area to monitor gas levels.
Damage is estimated at $10,000.
The fire department says the house is still livable.